Saturday, January 10, 2009

Psalm 144 Study (1-4)

Psalm 144 speaks volumes to me. Every time I read it I am reminded that I have a Father that is equipping me for every battle, every war, every stumble and every rock and a hard place I will face. The results may not always be what I want but they will always exactly be what My Father needs me to learn. Be it strength, patience, the value of pain, the comfort of His arms, faith in His silence and resilience of heart - He is teaching me something every day. He has equipped me with the armor and strength necessary and it's up to me to fight the battles.

I'm going to take a few days and go through Psalm 144 verse by verse and explain what it means to me. (I'm doing this in King James because it's BEAUTIFUL in King James).

Psalm 144
undefined
1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the Lord my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle— My Father knows that there are wars and battles beyond our physical beings. He not only has given us His strength to preserve in tough times but he has given us the spiritual brawn to fight the unseen. We have His resolve running through our veins. He has equipped us all the way down to the tips of our fingers, the tiniest appendage of our bodies, to fight and win. His faith in my ability to fight the unseen battles amazes me.

2 My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer,
My shield and the One in whom I take refuge,
Who subdues my people under me. Not only has He supplied me with everything I need to fight - He has provided me with a soft place to fall, arms to rest in, broad strong shoulders to cry on and a heart that listens and cares. It is in His name that I fight the battles presented to me in the flesh and the unseen; therefore it is also in His arms that I rest, take heart and refresh. In the most layman's of terms my God is my BandAid after a fight. He's my coach in the corner of the ring. He's my trainer telling me to get back on the horse and try again.

3 Lord, what is man, that You take knowledge of him?
Or the son of man, that You are mindful of him? Who am I to fight in YOUR namesake? Who am I but a flawed human girl that judges, swears, envies, lusts, lies and so forth? Who am I that He would even take the time to know my name and the number of hairs on my head? Who am I that I deserve His saving grace? Who am I but a flawed human? Who am I that He would take the time to give me the weapons necessary to fight the battles? WHO AM I THAT HE SHOULD LOVE ME? He tells me that I am His daughter. His bride. His warrior-princess. Not only does He love me unconditionally - He has saved me. What amazing grace He shows me.

4 Man is like a breath; His days are like a passing shadow. I was born fatally human. There are people all across the universe that are as I. I struggle to understand the reason that God has chosen ME to be a warrior for him. Why the weak immortal? Why not send down the angels? I believe it's because I am here to serve as a beacon for His love, grace and power. Through me, a mere mortal, His grace can be evident to others. Through me I hope that people can see that even though they are flawed they are loved. Even though they feel insignificant, He treasures them. Even though I am one of millions of His children, He counts my every breath. He knows my heart. How amazing is my Father? How amazing is it that He LOVES us so genuinely and so wholeheartedly that He calls us - fatally sinful mortals - His Daughters, Sons and Brides? How amazing is His Grace!

No comments: