Saturday, January 10, 2009

Servitude vs. Attitude

Just a little bit of scripture that just hit home for me. The story of Martha and Mary in Luke 10:38-42.

At the Home of Martha and Mary
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said.
40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Serving isn't about me. It isn't about my chance to play with little kids, it isn't about my chance to open up my living room for a lifegroup - it's about Him. It's so easy to drift into the self-centered view of serving. I hope that I can always remember that the second that God drifts from the center of my attention in serving self begins to take it's place. God has put me in places to serve and yet I do it week after week with the wrong attitude. Nearly every week I find myself secretly grumbling about getting up earlier, having to wipe snotty noses, carry clinging babies around for two hours and deal with rude parents in the nursery. Where do I get off complaining? For goodness sakes, Becki! He DIED for me and all I do is drag my feet to serve in the nursery. Ugh! Sometimes I just want to slap myself.

Here's to this month's resolution/goal - Maintaining a faithful heart of servitude for the right reasons without complaint. Realize that even a smile to a rude parent, a blot of a snotty nose or a few hours cradling a worried kid can and will convey the love of Christ when done with the Heart of Christ.

Dear Lord - Help me to be a Mary.

No comments: